- The largest living structure on Earth is Australia's Great Barrier Reef! It is over 1240 miles in length and can even be seen from space!
- The first animal to ever be cloned was a sheep name Sally, who was born in August of 1996.
- The human brain stops growing after we turn 18. After anyone turns 18, almost 1,000 brain cells are lost everyday, though the brain never stops working and thinking.
- Snails can actually sleep for years with out eating! While humans are called lazy, snails have the ability to sleep for three to four years with out waking up.
- Humans can actually photosynthesize. The process is called Anti-Solis Oxygenic Photosynthesis, which means we photosynthesize with out the sun! (To learn more about this process see our later post of Human Biology).
- The feeling of disgust and fear from humans to spiders is mutual! Studies have shown that when a spider comes into contact with a human it will immediately find shelter and clean itself of germs.
- The largest organ of the human body is actually... your skin. Skin covers almost every inch of space on our bodies and makes up about 20% of our weight, and it is considered an organ.
- The ostrich egg is the largest egg in the world. It is the same size as about 35 chicken eggs and weighs almost 4 pounds.
- If the human heart is pumping regularly it has the ability to squirt blood over 15 feet!
- Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump! Though they can't jump their size and strength make up for it.
"Biology is the study of complicated things that have the appearance of having been designed with a purpose." - Richard Dawkins